Kombucha is a tea based fermented drink that is gut healthy. The bottles you purchase at the store are often too sweet and not as full of live beneficial bacteria as they could be! Brewing your own can be a fun, inexpensive way to support your own gut health. You just need to get started – with a SCOBY!
SCOBY is a Symbiotic Culture Of Bacteria and Yeast that is used to start your own home kombucha-brewing exploration. In addition to a SCOBY, making kombucha requires:
- a glass jar (near a gallon works well)
- clean toxin free water (make your water HEALED like I talk about in this blog post)
- green or black tea
- sugar (1 cup for a gallon of water)
- paper coffee filter and rubber band to cover the top and keep it breathing (these are living creatures in the jar!)
- a dark, warm (not hot) place for it to sit undisturbed
If you are ready to try your hand at kombucha making, bring a jar to my La Plata, MD studio and taking your SCOBY home! If you want me to make the kombucha for you, sign up for a kombucha membership!