This product from Thorne provides all 4 of the 4 important chemicals required for proper digestion: stomach acid (HCl), pepsin for protein digestion, the digestive enzymes created by the pancreas, and bile. Digestive juices and digestive enzymes decrease with age, stress, illness, gallbladder removal, etc.
Stomach acid is needed for several tasks:
- kill pathogens in your food prior to digested food entering the small intestine and your blood stream
- acidify the churned up food to enable mineral and vitamin absorption in the small intestine
Pancreatin provides all 3 digestive enzymes:
- Lipase for fat digestion and fat soluble vitamin absorption (including Omega-3 and CoQ10)
- Amylase for carbohydrate digestion
- Protease for protein digestion
Bile is needed for fat digestion and is normally created by the liver, stored in the gallbladder. Upon eating, the gallbladder injects the stored bile into the small intestine – unless you do not have a working gallbladder!
Thorne’s Betaine HCl and pepsin comes from porcine sources. The ox bile – I leave that to your imagination! If you are taking stomach acid reducing medications or dealing with a peptic ulcer, this is not a product for you.
One bottle contains 60 pills. Swallow the pills, do not remove the powder and take free as it is likely to irritate your throat. Take 1-2 pills mid meal or within 30 min of the end of the meal. Start with 1 and add as needed. If your belly gets warm, too much! If you eat a larger meal, you need more!